Listen Live
HomeNewsEastern equine encephalitis found in horse

Eastern equine encephalitis found in horse

A dead horse in Sundridge has tested positive for the Eastern equine encephalitis virus, according to the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit.

The risk of a person being infected with the virus still remains extremely low. The virus causes inflammation of the brain, and happens when a horse is bitten by an infected mosquito. Horses or people infected cannot spread the disease.

In 2015, the health unit’s mosquito surveillance program had no mosquito pools test positive for EEEv. The last time the district had a positive EEEv mosquito pool was five years ago in the Parry Sound District.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading