Some potentially toxic blue green algae has been found in Northwest Bay in Lake Nipissing.
The Health Unit is warning people on private water systems to avoid using the lake water for drinking, cooking, or bathing. Boiling the water or using an at home treatment system will not destroy the toxins. People should also avoid swimming or eating fish caught in the water.
The toxins could stay in the water for up to three weeks after the bloom is gone. To find out more about blue green algae visit www.myhealthunit.ca.