Listen Live
HomeNewsFemale students learning more about a career in firefighting

Female students learning more about a career in firefighting

A dozen local high school students now have a better understanding of what it’s like to be a firefighter.

The young women took part in a four-day career camp this week that was a joint initiative between North Bay Fire and Emergency Services and the four local school boards.

(Photo by MyWestNipissingNow.com staff)

“I wasn’t really sure before I did this program, but I think after, it’s just a boost of confidence. Now I think for sure I want to do it,” says Katelyn Niestroy, grade 10 student at Almaguin Highlands Secondary School. “You learn a lot. You learn about how to put the masks on, we climbed up aerials, we just did search and rescue.”

Sessions throughout the week also included auto extrication, pumper operations, fire suppression, emergency medical training and more.

- Advertisement -

“It was super hands-on, physically demanding but I enjoyed it,” says Linden Fisher, a grade 11 student at Northern Secondary School. “My Dad is a volunteer firefighter in Field, where I live. It’s been around in my life for a long time. It’s a career path I can definitely see myself pursuing.”

Fire Chief Jason Whiteley says the intent of the camp is to give the female students an introduction to what the fire service is all about and what it takes to become a firefighter.

He also says they always want an inclusive workplace with everyone having the same opportunity to do the job.

“For me when I’m hiring people, I get the pick of who are the best people, who is going to deliver the best customer service and who is going to be the best fit in my teams,” Whiteley says. “It just gives me more and more people to look at and choose from.”

He says this was the first local camp so they’ll debrief and look at what can be improved or changed, with plans to expand it to all young people in the future.

(Photo by MyWestNipissingNow.com staff)
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading