â–º Listen Live
HomeNews(Update) Replica weapon recovered after police respond to SJSH

(Update) Replica weapon recovered after police respond to SJSH

(Update – 3 pm) The North Bay Police Service reports a replica firearm was recovered and a male student was taken into custody at St Joseph-Scollard Hall on Thursday, Oct. 27.  

Police say they received a report of a male student with a firearm at the school.  

They say the school was immediately placed on lockdown and officers with the Emergency Response Team and patrol section responded.  

According to police, the individual was identified through witnesses and video surveillance, located a short time later, and safely taken into custody.

- Advertisement -

The Nipissing-Parry Sound Catholic District School Board also issued a release on the situation.

“At approximately 12:55 p.m. today, October 27, St. Joseph-Scollard Hall was put into a lockdown meaning there was a major incident or threat of school violence within the school, or in relation to the school,” reads the statement.  “The North Bay Police Service were on scene of the active situation, which also resulted in an increased police presence in the area.  In light of this information, staff acted quickly to ensure a lockdown was put in place. This means that staff directed students to the closest secured area, remained with the students, and locked all doors in the area of the school to keep everyone safe indoors.”

The school board says at about 1:20 pm, the North Bay Police Service advised that the situation had been resolved however the school remained in a hold and secure while police completed their investigation.

The hold and secure was lifted at 2:10 pm and normal routines resumed.

“The safety, security and well-being of our students and staff are our main priority,” states the board.  “As such, our Student Support Services Team will continue to be available to support our students and staff. We are grateful for our partnership with the North Bay Police Service and for the quick action of our staff. ”

City police say their investigation continues.  

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading