Listen Live
HomeNewsSexual assault and violence policies to be reviewed at Canadore and Nipissing

Sexual assault and violence policies to be reviewed at Canadore and Nipissing

Canadore College and Nipissing University will both be completing a review on their sexual assault and violence policies, as directed by the province.  

Both post-secondary schools says students and employees have a right to work and study in an environment free from any sexual violence or harassment.  

Both say their policies already address the issues raised by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities, however, they will complete the review as outlined by the ministry before the March 2022 deadline. 

“Our Sexual Assault and Violence Policy and response protocol ensure those who have experienced sexual violence are believed and their rights are respected,” said George Burton, Canadore College President and CEO.  “Canadore has a process of investigation that protects the rights of individuals who have experienced sexual violence, and holds accountable those individuals who have committed an act of sexual violence.”

- Advertisement -

“We seek to eliminate all forms of sexual violence at Nipissing University and continuously look for ways to improve our survivor-centric policies, supports, and preventative programming offered to students,” said Dr. Kevin Wamsley, President and Vice-Chancellor, Nipissing University. “We will work directly with Canadore College to ensure we are doing everything we can to create a safe living and learning environment on our shared campus where our students feel supported in coming forward to report any instances of sexual violence.”

A joint release from Canadore and Nipissing states that if, during this review, their institutions find there are changes to be made, their policies will be updated to reflect them. 

They also say the Board of Governors for each institution reviews the current Sexual Violence policy on a regular basis.  

A review by Nipissing University’s Board was last completed in September 2019 while the board at Canadore College completed their review in November of the same year.  

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading