A fire in Cache Bay on Wednesday night has destroyed a home.
“When we got there, it was fully engulfed. It was a huge orange ball,” says West Nipissing Fire Services Chief Richard Maranda.
Maranda says crews from Sturgeon and Verner assisted in the fire.
“What made things a little difficult was that the home has a very long driveway with no hydrants close. We have over 1,500 ft of high-volume hose on the ground. It is drawing from a hydrant on Cache Street to a pumper, which is relaying it to another pumper through the hose, which was then being used to fight the flame.”
Maranda says two tankers were also brought in temporarily to help battle the fire until the hoses were set up.
As of Thursday afternoon, Maranda was still at the fire.
“We just called in an excavator to come and get the smouldering flames out. It’s currently between the basement ceiling and the subfloor so we can’t get to it,” he said.
Maranda is reporting no injuries and no loss of pets.
The chief says that the fire is not currently deemed suspicious and that it started outside.
“That’s about all I can tell you at this time, The Office of the Fire Marshal is here and we are assisting in an investigation. It’s a complete loss and it’s so unfortunate for the family. It wasn’t that old of a house. I don’t believe it’s even ten years old,” he said.