Listen Live
HomeNews$3.5M in funding for Canadore College and Nipissing University

$3.5M in funding for Canadore College and Nipissing University

The Ontario Government is investing over $3.7M in funding to help Canadore College and Nipissing University address various capital issues.

The funding was announced yesterday by MPP Vic Fedeli.

The money will address maintenance backlog, help undertake critical repairs.

“Well-maintained facilities and the latest in learning tools and equipment are critical parts of a postsecondary education,” said MPP Fedeli. “By investing in postsecondary infrastructure, our government is supporting economic recovery, creating jobs and ensuring students obtain the skills they need for the in-demand jobs of today and tomorrow.”

- Advertisement -

The money is part of the Facilities Renewal Program (FRP). Canadore will be seeing $1,738,000 and Nipissing will be receiving $1,648,700.

The 2020-21 FRP funding is an increase of more than $1,3 million for Canadore and $1,2 million for Nipissing over last year.

“This investment in our campus facilities will go a long way in ensuring that we are able to continue to offer students an exceptional environment for learning both inside and outside of the classroom,” said Cheryl Sutton, President & Vice-Chancellor (Interim) of Nipissing University.

As part of the College Equipment and Renewal Fund (CERF), the government is also providing $394,800 in capital funding to help Canadore College purchase and renew instructional equipment and learning resources. For 2020-21, CERF funding can also be used to purchase equipment to support student virtual learning during COVID-19.

“Canadore College appreciates the additional support from the provincial government,” said George Burton, Canadore College President and CEO. “Canadore continues to evolve its learning environment to ensure that our facilities remain world-class, our graduates are meeting the needs of employers, and the students and employees remain safe in the face of COVID-19. Specifically, the College will use the additional funds to introduce new technologies into our learning environment in order to meet the needs of the changing economy.”

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading