Following the shutdown of the Canada Post outlet on Worthington Street in North Bay comes news a postal employee has tested presumptive positive for COVID-19.

Thursday, the North Bay Regional Health Centre informed the Canada Post employee of the presumptive positive test result.

Canada Post issued a statement today:

“Employees who work at this facility were contacted and told to stay home to await further direction. A deep cleaning and thorough sanitization of the facility is under way. We are putting the safety of our people and the community first, and will continue to work closely with the local health unit.

Mail and parcels will not be delivered today in North Bay and communities served by this facility. Regular mail services are scheduled to resume on Monday, March 30, pending the direction of public health officials and in consultation with our joint local health and safety committee.

We are working with the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit to provide any assistance and will continue to follow their direction to keep our people and the community safe.”

Click for more information and updates about steps Canada Post is taking to keep deliveries and our employees safe during the pandemic and related service alerts.

The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit responded to an inquiry on the situation with:

“The Health Unit is unable to share information due to privacy legislation. When and if a test for any individual comes back positive and the Health Unit needs to let the public know about places they may have come in contact with an individual who tested positive we will look to the media for support and share the required information.”

Canada Post relayed the delivery interruption for North Bay and area via social media channels late Thursday, citing “precautionary measures regarding COVID-19. The North Bay depot and post office will not be processing mail and parcels on March 27. There will be no delivery of mail in North Bay and downstream communities.”

A local postal worker said the staff was informed late last night the downtown processing facility would be closed today for cleaning as a precaution and was not sure if they would return to work Monday. The employee awaiting COVID-19 test results last worked March 17.