The North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit is asking Lavigne residents to use their judgement where the water is concerned.
The advice follows the discovery of blue-green algae in the Northwest Bay area of Lake Nipissing.
The harmful bloom is close to Lavigne.
The health unit says if you are close to the algae, don’t use the water for drinking, cooking, bathing or even brushing your teeth.
Boiling the water does nothing to destroy the toxins.
Toxins in the algae can irritate the skin and if swallowed can result in vomiting and diarrhea.