Listen Live
HomeNewsFlood damage could be considerable in West Nipissing

Flood damage could be considerable in West Nipissing

The damage to West Nipissing caused by flooding could exceed $500,000.

That’s the assessment by staff.

So far the cost of flooding to the municipality has set it back about $80,000 plus a small amount of overtime.

However, it’s the unseen potential damage that’s a concern.

That damage is the road infrastructure still flooded by water in various parts of the municipality.

- Advertisement -

Although the roads still feel solid underneath the water, they will have to be evaluated once the water recedes.

Under disaster relief funding, the province will help municipalities once damage exceeds $500,000.

At that point, the province will cover 75 percent of the cost with the municipality covering the remaining 25 percent.

As the damage amount rises, the province’s share climbs to 95 percent and the municipality pays the remainder.

CAO Jay Barbeau told council the water level of Lake Nipissing is expected to stabilize this week and then slowly start to recede.

Although the municipality had 40,000 sandbags available for residential use, Barbeau says about half that number was deployed.

On the question of municipally-controlled boat launches, Barbeau says they will remain closed this weekend except for a secondary launch in Cache Bay.

It might not be needed, but Barbeau also told council the Red Cross was on standby and offered a trailer that could be used as an evacuation centre should the need arise.

To make sure people could get in and out of their homes, some roads were raised to ensure they would not be overrun with water.

Barbeau says the municipal police did an excellent job talking to homeowners explaining their options if the need for an evacuation arose.

Barbeau says because of the status of the municipal boat launches, the question came up regarding an annual fishing derby run by the local rod and gun club.

Barbeau says although it has nothing to do with the municipality, the organizers say the fishing derby will go ahead as planned.

Several councillors thanked the many volunteers who came out to help during the flooding crisis.



- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading