Listen Live
HomeNewsSecond update: White Woods students let back in school after possible gas...

Second update: White Woods students let back in school after possible gas leak scare

Second update:  1:15pm

Students are back at White Woods Public School after spending the morning at Northern Secondary School.

The Sturgeon Falls school was evacuated Friday morning after a possible gas leak scare.

West Nipissing Fire Chief Richard Maranda says what was found was a low-level amount of carbon monoxide.

After resolving the problem, the fire department, Union Gas and the Technical Standards and Safety Authority gave the all-clear for students to return to their familiar surroundings around the noon hour.

- Advertisement -

School buses will pick up the students at the end of the school day at White Woods.

The Near North District School Board is emailing parents about the students being back at White Woods.

First Update at 11:00am

The Near North District School Board says the West Nipissing Fire Department and Union Gas will tell the board when it’s okay for White Woods Public School students to return to the school.

Students and staff were evacuated Friday morning over a possible gas leak and everyone made their way to Northern Secondary School.

The board says the school day will continue at Northern until the all clear is given to return to White Woods.

Meantime school buses will still pick up the kids at the end of the school day.

The board also says if a parent wants to pick up their child as a result of the incident, go to Northern and your child will be signed out to you.

Fire Chief Richard Maranda says what was detected was a small amount of carbon monoxide.

The board will continue to update parents as more information comes in.

Original story

Students and staff at White Woods Public School in Sturgeon Falls had to be evacuated Friday morning because of a possible gas leak.

Fire Chief Richard Maranda says the carbon monoxide alarm in the school went off this morning and the school custodian notified the board supervisors of the incident.

The fire department and gas company were notified and Maranda told My West Nipissing Now.com that a mechanical contractor will have to assess the level of the carbon monoxide incident.

Until then no one is allowed back into the school.

In the meantime, students and staff are at Northern Secondary School.

The Near North District School Board says the students will be well supported and supervised at Northern.

The board will notify parents as more information becomes available.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading