A tick has been found in North Bay, and after testing by the health unit, the insect was carrying the bacteria that causes Lyme disease. The tick was embedded under the skin of a person. A bite from an infected tick can cause a rash but in more serious cases that bite can also cause joint pains, severe headaches and even heart palpitations if left untreated. The insect in question was a black-legged tick which is rare in this area but probably got here by riding on a migratory bird. If a tick attaches itself to you, remove it gently with tweezers and send it to the health unit to ensure it’s not infected with the Lyme disease bacteria.